As a Medical Assistant, understanding diversity and using a teamwork
approach is critical not only for the medical practice you work in but
also for attaining the common goal of quality patient care. Working
together provides opportunities for creativity, efficiency, and
excellent patient experiences.
This week, you will research various techniques in incorporating good
communication and diversity into your interactions with your coworkers.
You will create a summary that you will incorporate into the training
manual. This summary will illustrate various ways to demonstrate
teamwork through the understanding of effective communication and relate
how diversity plays a vital role in an efficient and effective
To complete this assignment, do the following:
- Research how diversity plays an important role in healthcare and
how proper communication techniques facilitate teamwork, increase
productivity, and help offer better patient care in a healthcare
setting. Use a minimum of 3 credible sources* in your research and
include a variety of resources, such as scholarly journal articles,
magazines, newspapers, or web resources. Two of your resources must be
academic/scholarly resources, such as a book or an academic scholarly
journal. Academic scholarly journals can be accessed through the
Rasmussen Online Library. Cite these resources throughout your summary
and include a reference page. Use proper APA formatting for your
citations and references. For help with formatting your references and
citations, see the APA guide.
- In a minimum of 3 pages (excluding the reference page), include
the following information to assist new employees in understanding
effective communication methods and the importance of diversity within a
- Communication and Productivity: Explain how communication can increase productivity.
- Communication and Morale: Explain how good and bad communication can affect morale.
- Overcoming Communication Barriers in the Workplace:
Identify the biggest communication barrier a Medical Assistant can face
with a coworker that would hinder patient care. Explain ways to
overcome that barrier. Choose the best method for the situation and
explain why this method is best.
- Teamwork Communication Strategies: Describe teamwork communication strategies.
- Assisting Coworkers: Name at least 5 tasks that coworkers can do for each other to help the daily practice run smoothly.
- Diversity and Teamwork
- Importance of Awareness of and Respect for Diversity: Explain why it is important for Medical Assistants to be aware and respectful of diversity in a healthcare setting.
- Incorporating Diverse Practice Methods:
Explain how to incorporate diverse practice methods and ideas between
coworkers while remaining respectful of their work practices and mindful
of the goal of providing effective and efficient patient care.
- Tailoring Communication: Describe how
Medical Assistants may have to tailor their communication in working
with professionals of various titles, such as physicians, peers, and
Feel free to use the template below as a starting point for organizing your summary:
- Use clear, professional language with proper grammar
and punctuation. Present your information at a level of detail that is
appropriate for new Medical Assistants and feel free to use images,
tables, or diagrams as necessary to help you convey your information.