How to Begin:
First, read the United Nations, 2015 World Population Aging Report (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site. [Pages 1-8 summarize the contents of the overall report and pages 99-101 provide the conclusions; after reading the full report, refer to these to help guide you in the aspects of population aging that you want to focus upon for your paper.]
After reading the report, your textbook, and research resources from the Ashford Library, present the following:
- Explain what population aging is and why it is occurring in the industrialized Western world. Be sure to include theories of population aging such as demographic transition and specific reasons why the overall populations in advanced societies like Europe, North America, Japan, Australia and New Zealand are aging. The UN report highlights these as â€˜demographic driversâ€™.
- In the UN report, it highlighted key challenges of an aging population. Explain and support with scholarly resources the three challenges as they pertain to:
- Ageing, poverty and economic growth;
- Ensuring social protections of older persons;
- Promoting health and well -being in old age.
- The UN report concluded that proactive planning was important and that there were key policy actions that countries should take to alleviate the challenges of an aging population.
- Present why it is important for Governments to proactively plan for an aging population through the implementation of social policies.
- Focusing on the United States, present and expand upon the key actions and the types of social policy and specific programs that could support the reportâ€™s findings regarding:
- sustainable pension systems;
- adaptable health care systems;
- alleviating age discrimination.
Must be 8 to 10 double-spaced pages in length (excluding title and reference pages), and formatted according to APA style (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site..
- Must include a title page (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site. with the following:
- Must address the topic of the paper with critical thought.
- Must be presented in the traditional research paper format of:
- Title Page
- Introduction (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site. and Thesis Statement (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.
- Body of Paper (covering provided assignment prompts)
- Conclusion (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.
- Reference List
- Must use the textbook and at least six scholarly sources that were preferably written within the last five years. The Scholarly, Peer-Reviewed, and Other Credible Sources table offers additional guidance on appropriate source types.