From the list below, choose one Greek work of art and one Roman work of art and compare and contrast them according to the criteria listed:
|The Doryphoros (Polykleitos, 450 BCE)|
|Augustus of Primaporta (c. 20 BCE)|
|The Laocoon Group (1stCentury, CE)|
|Marcus Agrippa with Imperial Family (South frieze from the Ara Pacis, 13 9 CE)|
|Nike of Samothrace (c. 190 BCE)|
|She Wolf (c. 500 BCE)|
|The Temple of Athena (427–424 BCE)|
|The Colosseum (72–80 CE)|
|The Parthenon (447–438 BCE)|
|The Arch of Constantine (313 CE)|
Answer the following list of questions in a comparative essay to evaluate your choices. Be sure to introduce the works you have chosen.
What is the FORM of the work?
- Is it a two dimensional or three dimensional work of art?
- What materials are used?
- What techniques or processes are used to create the artwork?
- What colors are used?
- Describe the use of line, shape, texture, value, color, and balance.
Does the work of art have SUBJECT MATTER?
- If so, what is literally depicted?
- Is the work of art REPRESENTATIONAL, ABSTRACT, or NONOBJECTIVE?
What is the CONTENT?
- What does it mean or represent?
- What is the artist’s message?
- Is symbolism used? If so, what is the meaning?
- What is the context of the artwork?
- What is the function of the artwork?
- What is the religious, philosophical and/or historical significance?
- What traditional role of the artist is exemplified?