Plays are meant to be performed, rather than read. The purpose of dramatic arts often extends far beyond the words written on a page; staging, lighting, costumes intonation, expression, and audience experience are all part of the experience of a theatrical production. To help develop your understanding of he Tempest and the cultural role of the dramatic arts, you will view a production of the play this week and write a two-page reflection to explain your viewing experience.
This will use Turnitin.
Link to play of the Central Washington Production of the Tempest:
For this assignment, you will view the above play and complete a reflection that addresses the following:
- Identify the performance that you have selected.
- Describe the staging, lighting, costumes, and characters of the performance. How do these match or revise the written version of the play?
- What type of mood and tone does the performance create? How?
- What parts of the play are easier to understand through performance? What are some details that stood out through performance?
- What does the performance suggest about the role of theater in contemporary culture?
35 pts= Reflection addresses all of the following elements: •Identify the selected performance. •Describe the staging, lighting, costume and characters •Describe the mood and tone of the performance and how it is created. •Discuss the parts of the play that are easier to understand through performance – what details stood out? •Discuss what the performance suggests about the role of theater in contemporary culture
10.0 pts Throughout the whole work, the writing •actively engages with the topic •is free of major errors in grammar, spelling, and punctuation •demonstrates strong word choice and sentence variety •avoids short paragraphs that tend to make a paper choppy and difficult to read •logically organizes ideas
5.0 pts Throughout the whole work, •outside research is used to apply concepts •in-text references are formatted using APA style •references page includes complete bibliographic information for sources using APA style