This paper should be 6 to 7 pages, double-spaced with 1-inch margins.
Read the following readings (I have attached the readings)
- Frum: The Seven Broken Guardrails of Democracy
- Posner: The Dictator’s Handbook, US Edition
- Sunstein: Lessons From the American Founding
- In addition to the above readings, you will need to discuss two news events and provide a link to a major national newspaper article (e.g., New York Times, Washington Post, LA Times, Boston Globe, USA Today) about the event. Provide the links in either a footnote OR a reference page.Answer the following questions in your paper. It is acceptable to use first person when addressing the questions.• Frum, a conservative and former speechwriter for President George W. Bush, argues in his essay (published in May 2016, after Trump won the Republican nomination but before the general election) that several political norms were violated by Trump. I want you to react to Frums’s argument in twoways:
- – 1. In about a paragraph, state whether you agree or disagree with Frum that several importantpolitical norms have been broken by Trump and briefly explain your reasoning.
- – 2. In about two paragraphs, pick two of the guardrails that you find most important and explainwhy you think they are important.
- Posner discusses the various tactics a would-be dictator could use to rise to power in the US.
- – 1. In about two to three paragraphs total, briefly describe each tactic.
- – 2. What does Posner conclude regarding the question, can it happen here? Do you agree ordisagree with Posner’s conclusion? Why or why not?
- Sunstein provides an overview of the disagreements between The Federalists and the Anti-Federalists,and Sunstein then states that the arguments of Publius are still relevant today.
- – 1. According to Sunstein, Publius contends that republican governments do best under whatconditions?
- – 2. In about three to four paragraphs, describe the “safeguards” that Sunstein discusses.
- – 3. In about two paragraphs, describe the four constraints on an would-be authoritarian president.
- Conclusion (about two pages): After having read these readings, do you feel that the American system of government is under threat from Trump or some potential future would-be authoritarian president? Why or why not? Use two current events as evidence for your argument.