Chapter 3 Assignment
This activity is designed to help you begin the process of developing your own SMART goals.
Directions: Review each of the following general goals. For each of these goals, create a SMART goal statement.
1. I will find a part-time job.
2. will stick to my budget.
3. I will join a club.
4. I will learn a new language.
5. I will study harder.
6. I will learn to swim.
7. I will win my next race.
8. I will do volunteer work.
9. I will work with my career counselor.
10. I will graduate.
a. Do you believe that goal-setting and decision making are both progressive processes? Explain in detail.
b. Discuss the value of failure on the road to success.
c. Discuss a public figure who has responded well to success.
This application-based exercise allows you to think critically about what you have learned in this chapter.
Based on what you learned about the career decision-making process in this chapter, choose a career decision you are currently trying to make and practice the decision-making process by answering each of the following questions:
- What am I trying to decide?
- What do I need to know?
- Why do I need to know it?
- How will it help me make a more informed decision?
- Why do I need to know it now?
- How can I obtain what I need to know?
- Who are the best resources for the information I need?
- Why do I think they are my best resources?
- How will you define career success?