Classify each of the following occurrences as an incident or disaster. If an occurrence is a disaster, determine whether or not business continuity plans would be called into play.
For each of the scenarios briefly describe the steps necessary to restore operations. Indicate whether or not law enforcement would be involved.
- A hacker breaks into the company network and deletes files from a server.
- A fire breaks out in the storeroom and sets off sprinklers on that floor. Some computers are damaged, but the fire is contained.
- A tornado hits a local power company station, and the company will be without power for three to five days.
- Employees go on strike, and the company could be without critical workers for weeks.
- A disgruntled employee takes a critical server home, sneaking it out after hours.