The 1992 United States men’s Olympic basketball team, nicknamed the “Dream Team”, was the first American Olympic team to feature active NBA players. The team is described by American journalists as the greatest sports team ever assembled. The Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame called the team “the greatest collection of basketball talent on the planet”. At the 1992 Summer Olympics held in Barcelona, the team defeated its opponents by an average of 44 points en route to the gold medal against Croatia. Chuck Daly served as coach, assisted by Lenny Wilkens, P. J. Carlesimo, and Mike Krzyzewski.
To watch this video, copy and paste the link below into your internet browser:
The purpose of this assignment is for students to write a response (reaction) on the topics of the Olympic Games, globalization of basketball, and coaching sport. Your paper should include the following:
- What do you think of FIBA and the NBA’s decision to allow American professional basketball players to compete in the Olympic Games?
- How did the decision effect Olympic Games? Competition?
- How did the decision effect the sport of basketball?
- Do you think that the outcome was positive? Negative? Explain Why.
- How would you describe Coach Dalys coaching philosophy?
- Did his coaching strategy influence/motivate players? Explain.
- Do you think that any coach would have been successful coaching such a talented group of players? Why or Why not?
- Describe the role/influence of the media’s coverage of the 1992 Olympic Games and the Dream Team.
- How important was their role in the globalization of the sport of basketball?
- What do you think are the lasting effects of the media’s coverage of the Dream Team?
- Did individual players benefit from media exposure?
- Did the NBA benefit from the media exposure?
- Do you think the achievements of the Dream Team have made it difficult for future USA Men’s Basketball teams/players to live up to their success?
- If so, why? If no, why not?
- What predictions do you have for the future of USA Men’s Basketball teams competing in the Olympic Games?