Role of Public Administrators in Protecting Civil Liberties
More than many other professionals, public administrators face the daily challenge of balancing personal rights with the needs of society. To perform their functions and duties, public administrators may have to carry out administrative actions that invade privacy interests and violate civil liberties. What would your personal ethical code of conduct dictate in the face of political or organizational policies that threaten personal liberties? What might help you frame your responsibilities in terms of protecting civil liberties while protecting all members of society?
In this Assignment, you analyze the complex administrative responsibilities in ensuring public freedom while protecting civil liberties.
For this Discussion, read one of the articles highlighting the threat to civil liberties in the United States (Greenblatt, Inazu, McKelvey, or Wilke).
Question (A_wk10) Two pages only including reference*****
Write your reaction to the article you selected. Then, explain how that article frames the responsibilities of public administrators who face ethical dilemmas in the attempt to ensure civil liberties while protecting all members of society. Multicultural and/or international examples are welcome but not required.
Question (B_wk10) 13â€“15 pages in length (double-spaced), not including the title page, abstract, and at least 8â€“10 scholarly resources, excluding any organizational brochures or other nonacademic sources.
Select any government or nonprofit organization for which there is sufficient information to allow a thorough analysis of ethical or social justice issues. You may select your own organization if it is a government or nonprofit organization, but be aware of the need for scholarly objectivity and the need to protect confidentiality. Ethical researchers never begin any project with a hidden agenda or predetermined conclusion. If you do choose your own organization, do not identify it by name or precise location.
Your writing should include the following:
- An introduction that describes the government or nonprofit organization, the setting, and any other information about the organization or related background that readers need in order to understand the organization and its ethical and social justice issues; a description of the ethical issues facing the organization and public administrators within the organization
- An explanation of the ethical issues related to two or more of the philosophical theories that this course introduces
- A summary of the major ethical challenges and conflicts of responsibility presented to individuals in the organization and to the organization as a whole
- A summary of the strategies that the organization uses to maintain responsible conduct
- An explanation of your recommendations for addressing the issues, including a rationale for your recommendations and an explanation of why they might be effective in addressing the issues, with consideration given to the possible involvement of guerrilla government employees
- An analysis of the factors that would affect the implementation of the recommendations by using the ethical decision-making model
- A description of the outcomes you would expect if the organization implemented your recommendations
- An explanation of how the issues you raised are related to at least two of the four social justice themes (human rights, equality, liberty, and justice)
Your writing must demonstrate both breadth and depth of knowledge and critical thinking appropriate to graduate-level scholarship. It must follow APA Publication Manual guidelines and be free of typographical, spelling, and grammatical errors. The writing should be 13â€“15 pages in length (double-spaced), not including the title page, abstract, and at least 8â€“10 scholarly resources, excluding any organizational brochures or other nonacademic sources.
Support your writing with specific references to all resources used in its preparation.
Question (C_wk11) Two pages only including reference*****
Social Justice and Social Change
In many of the Assignments in the course, you employed ethical decision making in order to recommend solutions to ethical issues within government and nonprofit organizations. As a current or future public administrator in a government or nonprofit organization, you must act responsibly and ethically to ensure positive social change. One way to promote the ethical conduct of your organization is to utilize ethical decision making effectively. However, decision making often has consequences for different groups.. For example, a decision that positively affects a domestic population might negatively impact a foreign population.
In this Discussion, you consider the impact of ethical decision making on positive social change.
Write an explanation of the impact of ethical decision making on positive social change. Summarize specific examples of the ethical decisions you proposed throughout the course and explain how they might promote positive social change. Finally, explain any negative impacts in terms of social change that this decision making might have.
Support your writing with specific references to the resources.