Upon completion of this module, the student will be able to:
- Compare and contrast the innovative technologies used in healthcare research.
- Discuss the possible societal implications of technologies used in healthcare research (policy/legal, ethical, cultural).
- Explain current issues/challenges associated with a current or emerging technology with applications in healthcare research.
Module ReadingsRequired Readings:
Shortliffe, E.H., & Cimino, J.J. (2014). Biomedical informatics: Computer applications in healthcare and biomedicine. (Links to an external site.)Springer.
- Chapter 26: Clinical Research Informatics
Panesar, A. (2019). Machine Learning and AI for Healthcare : Big Data for Improved Health Outcomes (Links to an external site.). Apress.
- Chapter 1: What is Artificial Intelligence
- Chapter 6: Ethics of Intelligence (Optional – but a great resource for ethical issues)
Pankajavalli, P. B., & Karthick, G. S. (2020). Incorporating the Internet of Things in healthcare applications and wearable devices (Links to an external site.). IGI Global.
- Chapter 14: Big Data, Data Mining, and Data Analytics in IoT-based Healthcare Applications