There are three components to this project:
- First, as an individual, you are to complete the Unit 4 lab tasks.
- Second you are to prepare a short paper, 1-2 pages, that demonstrates your understanding of IP addressing. Submit your individual work to the Small Group individual area.
- Third, work with your team to develop a paper that meets the stated user requirements.
Click here to refer to the instructions for the unit 4 lab tasks.
You are Sam Smith, a network technician with Global Packaging. You have been asked to configure the Internet Protocol (IP) address and subnet mask on a local host computer to enable IP connectivity. For this assignment, include the following:
- Explain why and how the IP address and subnet mask enable computers to communicate with each other on that network.
- Briefly explain how you know that the host computer was placed on the correct subnet.
- Explain the relationship between IP addressing, DNS and DHCP.
- Describe briefly the different types of network messages.
- Submit your individual work in a Word document approximately 1-2 pages in length to the Small Group submission area.
As you have gained experience in the topic of network design and development through this course, the team must design a global organizationâ€™s network. This organization has approximately 600 employees distributed evenly among six different departments. Its headquarters is located in Los Angeles, CA, and it has major offices in Madrid, Spain, Tokyo, Japan, and Sydney, Australia. Discuss your IP addressing scheme and whether you implemented subnetting or Classless Inter-Domain Routing (CIDR).
Design the following for availability, reliability, and performance. Explain and support your choices. Include a table of components, quantity, and prices:
- Local area network (LAN) (host to switch using a hybrid of cables and wireless options)
- LAN backbone design (utilizing fiber optics)
- Wide area network (WAN) design with a primary connection and backup connection for redundancy
- IP addressing scheme for the organizationâ€™s network (Class B private network address)
- Summation as to how design addresses availability, reliability and performance requirements
- Describe recommendations regarding network security such as hardware and security policy
- Suggest high level disaster recovery or business continuity plan
Prepare a Word document that is between 6â€“8 body pages in length. Add a title page, citations, and references in APA format. Include diagrams that illustrate your backbone and WAN design. Submit the Word document to the Small Group submission area. Refer to the APA style guide found in the Library for further information.
In the Small Group Discussion Board, deliberate with the other team members about the implications of the LabSim assignments in all units completed to date, including this Unitâ€™s LabSim assignments. Discuss how this knowledge impacted your ability to make the choices that you did in the organizationâ€™s network design.