Write a research paper in which you address the retention, separation, and discipline practices of a selected organization, based on information you have gathered and analyzed about the organization.
Once the best possible employees have been hired, it is important for the organization to do what it can to retain its top talent.
By successfully completing this assessment, you will demonstrate your proficiency in the following course competencies:
- Competency 1: Apply human resource strategies to business needs.
- Explain policies for handling separation.
- Describe formal discipline policies.
- Describe dispute resolution processes.
- Competency 3: Examine core functions of Human Resource Management.
- Describe strategies for retaining high-performing employees.
- Identify types of outplacement counseling and employee assistance programs.
- Explain legal implications for organizations as they relate to separation policies.
- The cost of turnover can be expensive; not only do organizations incur the expenses of lost work and hiring someone new, they also potentially will have to pay someone a greater compensation to fill the same position. Additionally, employees build knowledge not only about the organization but also about their positions. This can be both formal and informal knowledge, both of which are extremely important to the organization. When employees leave, they often take this information with them, resulting in a loss for the organization. If turnover becomes a problem, this can ultimately impact customer service and the bottom line. To help maximize retention, employers need to recognize employee needs and be aware of the work environment.SHOW LESSWhile minimizing turnover is ideal, employees will still leave. They might leave voluntarily because they have found other employment; they might be a part of an involuntary termination; or they might have planned retirement. Whatever the reason, it is the responsibility of the HR department to have a plan to help minimize the disruption to the organization.
- To deepen your understanding, you are encouraged to consider the questions below and discuss them with a fellow learner, a work associate, an interested friend, or a member of the business community.SHOW LESS
- Does the management style of supervisors contribute to or undermine employee satisfaction?
- Can the management style of one supervisor impact the entire organization?
- How can human resource management have an effect on the way supervisors manage their employees?
The following optional resources are provided to support you in completing the assessment or to provide a helpful context. For additional resources, refer to the Research Resources and Supplemental Resources in the left navigation menu of your courseroom.
The following e-books or articles from the Capella University Library are linked directly in this course:
- Cran, C. (2012). Top 10 employee retention strategies. Managing People at Work, (369), 6.
- Documenting employee discipline: 3 cardinal rules. (2011). HR Specialist, 9(6), 6.
- Lavenant, M. S. (2010). The art of employee discipline: How to retain control and increase production. Nonprofit World, 28(4), 22â€“23.
- Allison, L. (2012). Practical considerations of employee termination. Business People, 25(9), 86.
- Bernardin, H., Richey, B. E., & Castro, S. L. (2011). Mandatory and binding arbitration: Effects on employee attitudes and recruiting results. Human Resource Management, 50(2), 175â€“200.
Course Library Guide
A Capella University library guide has been created specifically for your use in this course. You are encouraged to refer to the resources in the
BUS-FP3040 â€“ Fundamentals of Human Resource Management Library Guide to help direct your research.
The resources listed below are relevant to the topics and assessments in this course and are not required. Unless noted otherwise, these materials are available for purchase from the
Capella University Bookstore. When searching the bookstore, be sure to look for the Course ID with the specific
â€“FP (FlexPath) course designation.
- Noe, R. A., Hollenbeck, J. R., Gerhart, B., & Wright, P. M. (2018). Fundamentals of human resource management (7th ed.). New York, NY: McGraw Hill.
- Choose an organization to use for this assessment. It can be where you are currently employed or a company with which you are familiar. It must be an organization that is researchable, as you will need to gather and analyze information in order to complete the assessment. You may use the same organization for the other assessments in this course.
- If you choose the organization where you are currently employed, please keep in mind that the analyses you make must be based on facts that can be documented rather than your personal opinion as an employee.
- Research the retention, separation, and discipline processes of your selected organization.
Based on your research into the retention, separation, and discipline processes of the organization you selected, write a research paper in which you complete the following:
- Describe the strategies used by the organization to retain high-performing employees.
- Explain the organization’s policies for handling voluntary and forced separation.
- Identify the kinds of outplacement counseling and employee assistance programs offered.
- Identify any gaps in the organization’s separation policies.
- Explain how eliminating these gaps would protect the organization from specific types of litigation.
- Describe the organization’s formal discipline policies. Be sure to include information on who is involved with implementing and enforcing the policies.
- Describe any alternative dispute resolution processes.
Please note: You must address all the required elements of this assessment. If details for any of the bulleted points are unavailable, research the topic and present recommendations you believe would be best for the organization, along with your supporting rationale.
- Your submitted assessment should include a title page, introduction, body, conclusion, and reference page.
- Be sure you support your analyses with references to at least two resources.
- You should format this assessment as a research paper following APA 6th edition guidelines for both style and citing sources, making sure that you also use correct grammar and mechanics.
- There is no required minimum or maximum page length; however, you should strive to be as detailed as possible in addressing each bullet point, while also being as clear and concise as possible.
- Should have everything listed in the scoring guide that is attached under distinguished