You will review a case study provided later in class. You will be responsible
for reviewing the case, assigning a diagnoses and creating a treatment plan. You will also be responsible for providing a rationale for the diagnoses, as well as a discussion of rule outs, differential diagnoses. Differential diagnosis refers to all of the diagnostic categories that you seriously considered during the diagnostic process. Because the symptoms present in the case study suggest the possibility of several disorders, a thorough discussion of disorders that you excluded is warranted. In other words, you should discuss why you assigned the diagnoses that you did and why you ruled out others.
This process will require the student to:
- Read the case study given by the professor based on a fictional patient describing the medical history
- Assess symptoms
- Assess other potential problematic areas of the personâ€™s life, such as social, spiritual, emotional, cognitive, work/education level, physical
- Identify diagnostic criteria based on DSM
- Identify stressors
- Give recommendations for treatment
- Assess prognosis
- Summarize results in a written statement
Format Outline: Written statement, 5-7 typed pages, double-spaced, no larger than 12-point, Times New Roman font. Make sure you follow the directions carefully and fulfill all of the above mentioned requirements. Donâ€™t forget to be creative and have funJ
All analyses must be typed in your own original writing. If you pass off othersâ€™ work as your own, it constitutes academic dishonesty and will result in disciplinary action.