As we continue to explore our own connections to the tropics, I want to ask you to dive in deeply to learn about one consumer product you use that is sourced from a tropical country. You may choose a specific consumer good or resource, like a particular clothing or electronics brand, a component or mineral, or a food/beverage item. These include things like tropical fruits (banana, papaya, mango, pineapple, etc.), chocolate (cacao), tea, coffee, rice, many nuts, palm oil (in most packaged foods), shellfish, etc.
For homework 2 I would like you to select ONE product sourced from the tropics that you’re interested in learning more about and conduct online research about that product with the goal of addressing the questions below. You will then create a two-page educational “brochure” with ~400-600 words organized under sub-headings in your brochure and including images and relevant visuals. Get creative!
Please also make a list of your website sources and include it on a separate page if it doesn’t fit nicely on the brochure. Please submit this as a PDF file.
Questions to answer:
1. What is the product you are investigating and why did you choose it?
2. What countries or regions are the primary source of the product? Does it come from or impact a specific ecosystem?
3. How is it harvested, grown, manufactured, produced or otherwise obtained? If it is something produced broadly throughout the tropics you are welcome to focus on one specific area or location.
4. What are the environmental impacts of the processes you described in (3)?
5. How is the local community / society impacted by the processes you described in (3)
6. What was the most interesting thing you learned through this research? Do you have any advice for being a more conscientious consumer of this product?
Don’t forget to include your list of sources!
Please come prepared to share what you’ve learned with your classmates during our week 4 class.
The content of your brochure must be written by you and in no way should plagiarize information found on wikipedia or other online sources. We will submit your brochures to turnitin.com to ensure it is your own original work.