The student will identify a topic from the provided list OR choose an instructor-approved topic of their choosing related to maternity care.
The student will develop a one-page education sheet that condenses the background and of the topic into an easy to read infographic. The student should utilize visual aids and be as creative as the student chooses to be with design. This infographic must be uploaded as a PDF and be shared with the class via a discussion post. Additionally, the student must review and comment on at least 2 other student’s infographics.
- ethical, legal, cultural and/or nursing practice dilemma
- drug usage in pregnancy and breastfeeding
- refusal of care (for self or child in cases of emergency or impending death)
- cultural birth/breastfeeding practices (identify culture)
- maternal & infant morbidity/mortality
- reproductive justice
- state vs. federal laws in regard to abortion/adoption/surrogacy/assistive reproductive technology
- Evidence-based practice
- LGBTQIA+ discrimination/disparity/erasure in reproductive health care settings, aspects of LGBTQ pregnancy, impact of hormone replacement therapy on fertility, LGBTQ-specific competency and sensitivity training
- Specific health problem (heart condition, autoimmune disorder, thrombophilia, disability, pregnancies affected by genetic conditions incompatible with life, Preeclampsia, Intrahepatic cholestasis of pregnancy, RTIs)
- Epidural use, various alternative pain relief measures in labor
- Baby Friendly Hospital Initiative