A. Explain what is meant by the first amendment of the U.S. Constitution?
1. How does this impact the press? Does it give the press/media too much power? How does this impact trials and pretrial processes.
2. Give a case summary outline(see below) of a constitutional first amendment case that has a major impact on the freedom of the press and explain its significance. You can find this via a TU Library search. It is your choice of case but find one that has implications for criminal procedures.
B. Give the case summary, format below, of Rummel v. Estelle, 445 U.S. 263 (1980). What is its significance?
C. Using the below outline, complete one on Costello v. United States, 350 U.S. 359.
Give case number/year, then:
1. FACTS: 2-3 sentences summarizing the important facts.
2. ISSUE: Usually there is only one issue in a case. It generally asks a constitutional question or raises a constitutional issue and set out why a case is important.
3. HOLDING: The holding generally answers the constitutional question raised or addresses the issue raised.
4. REASONING: (The most difficult part of the brief.) Explain why the court held or decided the way it did. It should be approximately 4 sentences.
5. CASE SIGNIFICANCE: 3+ sentences which will include the impact on law enforcement or corrections personnel.