Discussion 1(a) Engaging clients and systems is an important part of social work practice. Your agency probably utilizes many strategies to engage its clients and the community. Cortis (2012) identified many strategies used to engage under-served populations.
In this Discussion, you consider engagement strategies in the context of clients whom your agency may find challenging to identify and reach.
- Summarize the strategies identified in the Cortis (2012) article.
- Identify two strategies being used in your agency, and explain how they are used.
- Identify one strategy that is not being used, and explain how it would help engage clients if it were used.
Discussion 1(b) A key component to social work intervention with any target group is the use of assessment. Social workers need to assess the risk factors, support systems, service access, and other variables to inform the intervention strategy. Assessment is a broad term with many applications. This week’s readings provide you with a few examples of assessments used in social work settings. In this Discussion, you analyze different assessment options.
- Identify the similar components of assessment among the articles found in the Learning Resources.
- Critically analyze the assessment(s) you are using in your agency.
- Describe the strengths of the assessment tool.
- Explain what improvements you would make to the assessment tool.