- What are the different types of groups (e.g., primary groups, secondary groups, reference groups, formal groups, in-groups, and out-groups) within a society?
- What are the main characteristics of a group?
- How does the group fit the needs of the society and individuals?
- What is deviance?
- How can deviance contribute to society? How does it detract?
- How does Merton’s five-part typology of deviance fit within an ideal society? How can the theory explain stigmas?
- How do the different types of groups (primary groups, secondary groups, reference groups, formal groups, in-groups, and out-groups) impact people?
- How do people engage and contribute when they are part of an in-group?
- What are the benefits and drawbacks of belonging? How do people conform to groups?
- How do groups control individuals?
- What occurs when people are not part of a group? How might they react?
- Why do people consider deviance a mental illness?