Below there are ten questions you will answer. Each response should be in complete sentences and in paragraph form. Each question is worth up to twenty points. You should complete your responses in a word document and number each response.
- Explain the difference between mechanical and organic solidarity, according to Durkheim. Include an example of each form of solidarity to demonstrate your knowledge.
- Explain Marx’s critique of capitalism. How does capitalism promote inequality?
- After the most recent school shooting in Parkland, FL there has been an increased discussion around gun violence, gun policy, and school safety. Describe this debate from one of the three sociological perspectives (Structural Functionalism, Conflict Theory, Symbolic Interaction) and analysis the current debate using the key terms and concerns of the chosen perspective.
- Define cultural capital and give an example of cultural capital within Lareau’s article and parenting and socialization.
- What is the invisible knapsack of privilege? How does privilege reproduce inequality? Provide an example of one form of privilege.
- What is the Power Elite according to C. Wright Mills? What is an example of the power elite? Have the components of the power elite changed over time? If so, in what ways?
- Define institutional racism, color blind racism, and microaggressions. How does each of these forms of racism reproduce racial inequality?
- How do media representations reinforce race relations and racial stereotypes? Provide a specific example of this form of prejudice. How can this problem of representation be addressed?
- What is the process and outcome of gender socialization? What are the agents of gender socialization?
- Define intersectionality. Why is an intersectional approach a useful way to address oppression and inequality?