- What are some aspects of the relationship between religion and ethnicity and culture?
- What advice do you have for counselors to help them increase their level of comfort in dealing with religion and spirituality in a clinical situation and how would you advise the clinician to avoid violating the rules of not imposing values adopted by most ethical standards?
- What stood out for you in the stories as new or very different from your experience? How would you feel counseling each of these individuals?
Thomas Chapters 13-15
- Give examples of classism in the counselor and the possible consequences of classism for the treatment process. That is, in what ways would social class and bias affect the treatment process for both the counselor and client?
- What role has social class, broadly defined to include many factor such as education, played in your life? Were there expectations of you as a result of your social class?
Thomas Chapters 16-18
- What are some of the most important issues that clinicians need to assess when counseling LQBTQIA+ clients? Have you observed instances of homophobia? Describe.
- After reading the chapter about disability, can you think of some disability that you or someone close to your struggles with? How was it impacted their relationships with others and the world around them? Is there anything that you learned in the chapter that might help this person?