Please answer each question individually with at least one citation per questions.
1. According to the 2014 ACA code of ethics “Counselors respect the diversity of clients, trainees, and research participants and seek training in areas in which they are at risk of imposing their values onto clients, especially when the counselor’s values are inconsistent with the client’s goals or are discriminatory in nature.” Review Butman and Yarhouse’s article “Psychopathology Through the Eyes of Faith: Integrative Reflections for the Classroom and Beyond” and briefly describe their approach to teaching psychopathology. Identify two or three elements you find interesting about their method of teaching psychopathology and explain why they are important to you.
2. Oftentimes, the presentation of mental illness is regarded as scary or threatening. How is this concept perpetuated in the media and other social outlets? Discuss and provide at least two examples of how this is occurring in society today.
3. The DSM is organized by combining disorders of the same category. What are the symptomatic similarities that necessitate the clustering of these disorders? Select one class of disorders (depressive, anxiety, dissociative, etc.) and discuss.
4. As a diagnostic tool, the DSM includes diagnostic criteria for mental disorders. In addition, it includes information such as prevalence, risks, prognoses, gender-related issues, and cultural considerations for these disorders. What role might this information play in diagnosis and treatment?
5. Childhood disorders often gain popularity during a specific time, such as Autism and ADHD. Select a commonly diagnosed childhood disorder and discuss. Why is it currently in vogue? Be sure to include in your discussion thoughts about medication trends, media attention, etc.