You work for Jenny Cunningham, Riverbend City Emergency Manager. You are the supervisor who will be responsible for training representatives for the following groups in how to create a sample plan for preparedness:
- Emergency and government managers.
- First responders.
- Business leaders.
- Heads of families or households.
- Personnel in charge of or dealing with special needs groups such as the elderly, non-English speaking people, children, et cetera.
Jenny has asked you to send her a memo with the five top points you would present in a training for these groups. Your purpose for this eventual training is to introduce the target audience to what goes into a well-rounded preparedness plan. Use your personal and professional experiences, your readings, as well as examples of preparedness you have seen in the media scenario to support your ideas. Be sure to cite your resources.
In a memo to Jenny Cunningham explain how you would address the following with your group of training representatives. The memo should be short and concise. Use 1–2 paragraphs to succinctly deliver each main point.
- Prepare a statement of why an emergency preparedness plan is important to establish, with emphasis on evacuation or sheltering in place.
- Identify stakeholders who will be able to assist in the preparedness phase for government entities, businesses, and citizens.
- Establish suggested necessary team members for your chosen incident (including governmental and non-governmental bodies).
- Outline a continuity of operations plan that will help stakeholders be prepared to return to normalcy following a disaster.
- Create a sample message to the community (one that would be delivered through the media) that provides a simple outline of steps families or special needs groups (such as the elderly, non-English speaking people, personnel in schools) can take to create their own preparedness plan.
To achieve a successful assignment experience and outcome, you are expected to meet the following requirements for your memo:
- Written communication: Must be free of errors that detract from the overall message.
- Font and font size: Times New Roman, 12 point.
- APA formatting for any citations and references used in the assignment.
- A memo doesn’t require a title page, just who it is to, who it is from, and a subject line.
- Should not exceed 250 words for each point.