Assignment 1: Preemployment Assessment of Officer Candidates
In this assignment, create a 3-page paper examining the screening requirements for psychological evaluations of law enforcement candidates.
Assume you are the person responsible for conducting preemployment screenings in your agency. Using the module readings and the Argosy University online library resources, conduct research on national standards, methods, and tools for conducting pre-employment psychological screening assessments. You may want to consult local law enforcement professionals in the field for more information.
In your submission, please respond to the following questions:
- What are the accepted standards for pre-employment psychological evaluations?
- What are the key elements of the International Association of Chiefs of Police (IACP) standards on preemployment screenings?
- What are your state requirements for preemployment screenings?
- What should be included in a pre-employment screening assessment regardless of locality?
- What are the primary aims of a pre-employment psychological assessment?
- What are the ethical implications in conducting preemployment screenings?
- What are the potential legal aspects (i.e., risks) of adequate versus inadequate preemployment screenings?
- How do screenings protect the police officer recruit, the department, and the community?
Support your responses giving reasons and examples from scholarly resources. Apply APA standards to citation of sources.
- By the due date assigned, post your responses to this Discussion Area.
- Through the end of the module, respond to at least two other classmates’ posts. Participate in the discussion by asking a question, providing a statement of clarification, providing a point of view with a rationale, challenging an aspect of the discussion, or indicating a relationship between one or more lines of reasoning in the discussion.
|Grading Criteria||Maximum Points|
|Quality of initial posting, including fulfillment of assignment instructions||
|Quality of responses to classmates||
|Frequency of responses to classmates||
|Reference to supporting readings and other materials||
|Language and grammar||