Need to be 400 words and due Sunday 4pm
Inclusion of students with disabilities into the regular education classroom, is an important component of IDEA. Read arguments regarding inclusion (both pros and cons) from both of the websites listed below and write a response regarding inclusion and whether you believe it is practical or not.
Including Students with Disabilities in General Education Classrooms (http://www.hoagiesgifted.org/eric/archived/e521.html)
Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
Cognitive behavioral therapy (http://www.nacbt.org/whatiscbt.htm) (CBT) is a therapeutic approach used to help people understand more about how what they think can impact their behavior (i.e., what we do). CBT has been used as a treatment method for students with emotional disabilities. Do you believe CBT is an appropriate method of treatment for children with emotional disabilities?
Directions: Read the scenario below and then respond to the questions/statements which follow. A substantive paragraph or more for each question should be included to demonstrate your understanding of the concepts. Please include a reference to support your ideas in this assignment. Take the time to cover all the elements of the question thoroughly and succinctly.
Scenario: Sally is a 3rd grade student with an identified specific learning disability in the academic areas of reading comprehension and math reasoning. Sally requires a resource level of support whereby she spends the majority of her school day within her general education 3rd grade classroom. Sally spends at least 20% of her school day receiving specialized instruction in the areas of reading comprehension and math reasoning (i.e., the academic areas where her disability manifests itself). Sally’s specialized instruction may include small group instruction with the special education teacher outside or inside of her classroom.
Based on what you have learned about inclusion:
1. Are Sally’s current special education services consistent with the inclusion model? Why? Why not?
2. What should Sally’s general education 3rd grade teacher do to help fully include her within the 3rd grade classroom?
Emotional disabilities may inhibit one’s ability to manage emotions. This inability to cope with feelings may adversely affect oneâ€™s daily life. Children with emotional disabilities often also experience problems with learning.
For this worksheet, please write a paragraph on EACH of the questions below:
1. Choose one emotional disability and describe the characteristics of the disability (e.g., bipolar disorder, ADHD, eating disorders, oppositional defiant disorder, depression, recent exposure to violence or disaster, or conduct disorder).
2. Describe the treatment for the disability.
3. What issues do you think might arise in a school setting for a child with this disability?
4. How might a school professional help the student cope with this emotional disability in the school setting?
Use resources from the APUS online library to help you learn more about the specific emotional disability you choose to examine. Additionally, you may click on the following link to learn more about emotional disabilities/disturbances in children and adolescents