Unit VIII Homework Template .
Part 1: Choose one of the three topics below. Write an argument with a clear conclusion (thesis) that you have created about this topic. Your conclusion must be a straightforward one-sentence assertion. Note that your thesis or conclusion can be something narrow within each topic. For example, “I should stop smoking” is a thesis or conclusion that falls under the topic of being healthy. Incorporate the following guidelines as you write:
- Briefly introduce the issue or topic.
- Identify at least two premises for your conclusion.
- Write at least one page for your argument and written response.
- Your written response should include inductive aspects of your argument as well as deductive aspects.
- List at least one fallacy that you may have committed but have avoided.
- Write at least one unstated assumption that is logically part of your argument.
- If your argument turns out to have a sub-argument (see Unit VIII Lesson), make sure you fill out a template for each argument. Follow the writing guidelines on pages 273 through 275 of Chapter 12 of our textbook.
Possible TopicsQuestions that may help in coming up with a thesis (conclusion):Money managementHow should I manage my money? What spending habits can I change? How can I save more?Study habitsWhat is the best way to study? What can I do on a daily basis to study? What can I do on a weekly basis?Being healthyWhat can I do to be healthy? What daily habits can I change?
Part 2: After writing your argument paragraphs, fill out the conclusion, premises, inductive aspects, and deductive aspects in the chart at the bottom of the template. In the second chart, include your potential fallacies and hidden assumptions.