This exam covers all readings, course activities, and lecture content assigned from Modules 01 through 06. Choose one of
the five questions below. Write an essay response of 250-300 words. In
your response, be sure to refer to specific concepts from the readings,
lecture notes, and/or discussions, and use these concepts to support
your points. Please state the question prior to your answer.
- Explain what sociologist Howard S. Becker meant when he said, “it
is not the act itself, but the reaction to the act, that make something
- Explain the difference between individual and institutional
discrimination, giving examples of each type of discrimination. Then
explain how these forms of discrimination are different from prejudice
- Of the three theories of global stratification (modernization
theory, dependency theory, and world systems theory), which do you think
is most relevant or useful for understanding global inequality? Explain
why in detail, using specific examples to support your points.
- Explain how functional theory would interpret the causes and
consequences of technological advances in American society. Choose one
particular type of technology to focus on, such as texting or social
networking via Facebook or Twitter.
- Compare and contrast two social movement theories, such as
deprivation theory and resource mobilization theory. Use examples from a
specific social movement to support your points.