8-10 pages (excluding title page, abstract, references, or appendices)
You are being considered for retention as a forensic accountant by a federal prosecutor in a financial statement fraud case of the magnitude similar to that of a well-known, former American energy, commodities, and services company based in Texas. To demonstrate your forensic accounting mastery and fraud examination knowledge, prepare a report that addresses the following elements that you believe would be critical to the pending litigation:
- Explain forensic accounting and fraud examination methods that could be used to investigate the alleged fraud.
- Assess the applicable rules governing the collection and admission of the types of evidence that are likely in the case.
- Analyze strategies for litigation support as a consultant, expert witness, or fact witness.
- Evaluate accounting approaches that could be used to compute the value of damages or the impact of the alleged fraud.
- Identify the elements of a forensic fraud investigation report, and explain how they could be used to support case preparation.
- Assess remediation strategies that could be used in the event the litigation is successful.