Environmental Health[WLO: 1] [CLOs: 1, 3, 4]
Read the brief scenario at the beginning of Chapter 14 (p. 407). Then reflect on the items that follow.
Many people like Juan and Maria live where industrial poultry or livestock operations have become established. Suppose the well water is found to contain high levels of nitrates after Juan’s most recent test and Juan and Maria cannot move due to income limitations. A term used to describe situations in which undesirable industries or waste disposal sites are preferentially located in low-income or minority areas is known as environmental injustice. Not only must residents who live in rural communities be aware of water contamination, but they also must be aware of air pollution and soil toxicity.
In your paper,
- List three additional precautions Juan and Maria could have taken to protect their health before purchasing their current home.
- Identify the steps they could take to improve their chances of a successful pregnancy.
- Describe what they might do to restore the safety of their well water.
- Identify the local, state, and federal agencies that might be able to help them.
- Analyze whether Juan and Maria’s situation might suggest that theirs is a case of environmental injustice.
Describe your state’s regulations regarding the establishment of huge factory farms.
- Identify whether industrial hog farms are problem in the county or state where you live.
- Identify whether industrial cattle feedlots are problem in the county or state where you live.
Explain how you became aware of environmental health issues.
- For example, prior to reading this scenario, were you aware of the dangers posed to residents living in rural farm areas?
The Environmental Health assignment
- Must be at least two to four double-spaced pages in length (not including title and references pages) and formatted according to APA StyleLinks to an external site. as outlined in the Writing Center’s APA Formatting for Microsoft WordLinks to an external site. resource.
Must include a separate title page with the following:
Title of paper in bold font
- Space should appear between the title and the rest of the information on the title page.
- Student’s name
- Name of institution (The University of Arizona Global Campus)
- Course name and number
- Instructor’s name
- Due date
- Title of paper in bold font
- Must utilize academic voice. See the Academic VoiceLinks to an external site. resource for additional guidance.
Must include an introduction and conclusion paragraph. Your introduction paragraph needs to end with a clear thesis statement that indicates the purpose of your paper.
- For assistance on writing Introductions & ConclusionsLinks to an external site. and Writing a Thesis StatementLinks to an external site., refer to the Writing Center resources.
Must include at least two credible sources to support your statements
- The Scholarly, Peer Reviewed, and Other Credible SourcesLinks to an external site. table offers additional guidance on appropriate source types. If you have questions about whether a specific source is appropriate for this assignment, please contact your instructor. Your instructor has the final say about the appropriateness of a specific source for a particular assignment.
- See the University of Arizona Global Campus Library’s Advanced Internet Search TechniquesLinks to an external site. tip sheet for assistance in finding online government resources.
- See the Writing Center’s Integrating ResearchLinks to an external site. for more information.
Must contain responses to the bullets that are placed in paragraph form, not simply listed as bullets.
- You need to demonstrate that you can collect, compile, and present a broad array of information in a narrative form.
- Must document any information used from sources in APA Style as outlined in the Writing Center’s APA: Citing Within Your PaperLinks to an external site. guide.
- Must include a separate references page that is formatted according to APA Style as outlined in the Writing Center. See the APA: Formatting Your References ListLinks to an external site. resource in the Writing Center for specifications.
Carefully review the Grading RubricLinks to an external site. for the criteria that will be used to evaluate your assignment.