The Portfolio Project demonstrates your ability to apply knowledge of the case management experience in human services by synthesizing the information from the readings, class work, scholarly sources, and students’ work and life experiences. The purpose of this project is to integrate human service needs with evidence-based interventions, and to apply both to a fictitious human service setting and population.
In this assignment, you are asked to complete a service plan, using the service plan template provided, for a client with multiple needs.
Select one of the following clients:
Client A: Jerry, a 29-year-old African American male. Jerry presents with difficulty finding a job. Jerry has some developmental delays and a learning disorder. He is dyslexic. He recently lost his best friend, Roger, in a car accident. Jerry has been using alcohol daily to cope with his feelings of grief and loss. Jerry does not have a car and lives with his mom who often provides transportation to his doctor visits and job interviews. Jerry’s mother believes he is being discriminated against by prospective employers because of his race, disability, and past legal involvement.
Client B: Kim is a 17-year-old Hispanic female who identifies as lesbian. She was recently kicked out of her house after her mom found a love letter she had written to a female schoolmate. Kim’s mom is a devout Southern Baptist who believes that homosexuality is a sin. Kim’s father’s whereabouts are unknown. He left Kim’s mom when Kim was an infant. She never knew him. She has been anxious, can’t sleep, and stays with friends or sleeps in an alley near her high school. She has been taking showers at a local truck stop and walking to school. She loves school and wants to get a graduate degree in veterinary medicine, but she has no place to call home, no job, and is running out of spending money.
- Thoroughly identify at least four case management needs of the selected client in your service plan.
- Develop a list of strategies and interventions based in research to treat the case management needs of this client. Include a summary of at least three different interventions. Incorporate at least one scholarly journal article to provide support for your descriptions.
- Distinguish between direct interventions and care coordination/advocacy that will be used in the treatment of this case management client.
- Identify and distinguish among the distinct roles of the case manager and client in your service plan.
- Address cultural considerations in treating the population in need.
- Describe and address ethical considerations applied in the case management treatment of this population.
Discuss and cite a total of at least three scholarly sources (including the citation requirement noticed above in #3), other than assigned readings for this course, to support your analysis and positions. For any references used, include a list at the end of your service plan, as a separate reference page. Cite your sources in APA format.