Country Study India
1. Read the Wall St. Journal article: Flawed Miracle and summarize in three paragraphs.
2. Discuss the current state of the Indian economy and its impact on the global economy?
3. Mahatma Gandhi is known as a symbol of non-violence and peace. Why then Gandhi never received the Nobel Peace Prize? What was the view of the Nobel Prize Committee on Gandhi?
4. What does â€œMahatmaâ€ mean? Why and who gave this title to Gandhi?
5. Explain the influence of Gandhiâ€™s philosophy on Martin Luther King Jr. and racial discrimination in the U.S?
6. Briefly explain Mahatma Gandhiâ€™s view on the following:
a. Christianity and Jesus Christ
b. Western Civilization
d. Hinduism and Bhagwat Gita
7. Mahatma said, â€œA nation that is capable of limitless sacrifice is capable of rising to limitless heights. The purer the sacrifice, the quicker the progress.â€ Can this philosophy be applied to develop a country, fight dictatorship and terrorism?
8. Briefly explain the difference between U.S and India on the following issues:
b. Religion and spirituality
d. Work Ethics
g. Friendship and love