This is a graded discussion: 14 points possible
due Oct 14
Maternal and Child Health – Read a Paper Excerpt – Group 1
No unread replies.22 replies.
We will be reading a paper about disparities in maternal and child health. Before you get started, please watch this video for some background:
For this post, each person in your group will become an expert on one section of the paper:
Beck, A.F., Edwards, E.M., Horbar, J.D. et al. The color of health: how racism, segregation, and inequality affect the health and well-being of preterm infants and their families. (Links to an external site.) Pediatr Res 87, 227–234 (2020). https://doi.org/10.1038/s41390-019-0513-6
For your initial post, you are only reading one section for this assignment; however, it may be helpful to read the article abstract (Links to an external site.) to give you a general summary of the study.
Links to each section:
- Risk Assessment WORKING ON THIS SECTION
- Quality of Care
- Socioeconomic Disadvantages
Each person in your group will read one of the five sections listed above, selected on a first-come, first-serve basis. It is strongly recommended that you make a placeholder post to avoid multiple students reading and posting about the same section. You may reply to your placeholder post with your responses to the prompts.
Title your post with your chosen section (e.g., Introduction, Risk Assessment, etc.), then answer the following:
- Write a 5-6 sentence summary of your section of the article. What were the main takeaways? If you use any vocabulary words, be sure to define them.
- Find a line/concept (“golden line”) within your section of the article that you found interesting, resonated with you, or changed your thinking on this topic (you may copy/paste the text into your discussion post). In 2-3 sentences, explain the significance of your selection.
- Based on the reading of your section, what are two questions you have? These may be something you need clarification on, technical questions, questions about the diets, methods, or broader questions about the article.