As a culminating task for this course, reflect on your own beliefs, expectations, and practices.
- Why might some teachers resist the use of sheltered instruction strategies and SIOP?
- How can teachers encourage other teachers who resist using the principles of sheltered instruction?
- What steps can the teacher take to best determine how to link learning to student background knowledge?
- Why do learning strategies being planned for the sheltered learning classroom differ by curriculum area?
- Cooperation can be taught in the classroom, but how can the teacher know how many of these skills their students transfer into their everyday lives?
- How can the teacher help students who feel overwhelmed by the amount of academic vocabulary they need to know?