1. Read: Discussion Background
Welcome to your MA1015 Week 1 Discussion! This course introduces you to the various ways that math plays an important role in both your personal and professional lives.
We use math skills in many aspects of our lives. We work with whole numbers, fractions, and decimals when trying to budget and save money. We use equations to help us buy products and pay bills. We even use conversions when we cook. For this discussion, watch the following video that explains the mathematical unit, which is the foundation of our whole number system.
One Is One…Or Is It?
Use the insights you’ve gained from the video and your reading to help you respond to the following prompts.
2. Initial Post: Create a new thread and answer all three parts of the initial prompt below
- Discuss what you view as one of your personal math strengths (e.g. easily adding numbers in your head, quickly understanding data on graphs/charts, savvy at saving or budgeting money, etc).
- Describe one example of partitioning a unit of something. (Hint: Think of the bag of apples from the video)
- Describe one example of composing a unit of something. (Refer back to the video for ideas)