1. Read: Discussion Background
The Golden Ratio is probably the most well-known ratio. View the Definition of Ratio website for an explanation of a ratio. Its value is approximately 5 to 3. (A ratio can also be written as 5/3 or 5:3) Here’s a visual you will recognize that happens to represent the Golden Ratio:
While the Golden Ratio is certainly mathematical, it appears frequently in lots of other places, too.
2. Initial Post: Create a new thread and answer all three parts of the initial prompt below
- View The Truth Behind the Golden Ratio video for additional examples of the Golden Ratio. Select your favorite example from the video (or your own research) and explain why this specific example is so interesting to you. (Possible keywords: the golden ratio + in nature, + in art, + in the human body, + in geometry).
- Now that you know more about the Golden Ratio, do you believe its common presence shows evidence of a grand design within the universe or is it simply a coincidence? Explain why you feel that way.
- How does this topic reinforce or change your belief about the application of math to your daily life?